If you love fresh spray-free produce delivered to your door weekly you’ve come to the right place! Our seed orders are in and we’re looking forward to another season filled with variety.
What is CSA?!?
CSA stands for Community Supported (or Shared) Agriculture. It’s kind of like crowd source funding for farmers but you get stuff as a result. The premise is simple – a farmer sells CSA shares at the beginning of the production season and then members of the CSA get deliveries of whatever is fresh and available each week. Each CSA is as unique as the farm that offers it, varying in price, products, and duration.
We are a little different than many other growers in that we like to keep our CSA small. We would rather offer our customers nice full boxes of quality produce than feel stretched to fill an unreasonable amount of shares. This allows us to grow a wider variety of fruits, herbs and veggies in small quantities so that you’re not getting the same thing week after week. Having up to 50 varieties growing at any given time means that even if the growing conditions dish out extreme challenges, there will always be things in the field that are able to thrive.
How Does it Work?
Each CSA share will include 20 weeks of delivery, beginning around the end of May (actual start time will be determined by the weather and deliveries may start slightly earlier or later depending on when we’re able to get seeds in the ground). The contents of your CSA box will vary from week to week as produce becomes ready to harvest. Once our members have signed up we will try to choose a day and delivery time that suits everyone. This year we plan to deliver to homes between Wilmot and Berwick.
What are the Benefits?
- Tipsy Toad Grove products are guaranteed to be free of pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Our happy pastured animals provide the stuff that makes our produce grow. We grow things the hard way… no sprays allowed. Our eggs and goat milk products come from animals who enjoy real grass and the freedom to move… critters living the way they’re meant to.
- You’ll receive a different box every week. Participating in a CSA is an easy way to ensure that you’re eating the freshest food at the time it’s locally in season. That’s good for you and for the planet. We ripen on the vine, not in a truck driving across the continent.
- Support local farmers (that’s us!) and pump money into the local economy. You’ll be able to ask us how things are grown, what varieties we produce, and you’ll have a real connection to your food.
- Learn how to cook and enjoy produce you may never have experienced before. We’ll send a newsletter weekly containing information about the produce, recipes to use it, and happenings on our farm.
- You will receive an invite to our annual Pig Roast, usually held in August or September.
What Can I Expect?
- Each box will give you some of whatever we have each week – a combination of some or all of vegetables, fruits, & fresh herbs. . You can also purchase eggs as part of your CSA. Some weeks may be a little sparse but others will be abundant, based on the growing season. The spring starts out heavy on greens and then as the ground and air begin to warm the offerings become more diverse. You can expect your box to grow as the season does.
- Delivery to your home once a week between Wilmot and Berwick. We’ll consult with our shareholders to figure out which times are best.
- Healthy, fresh produce guaranteed. That said, we are not adverse to “ugly” vegetables and we ask our customers to embrace them, too. You will never receive produce that is rotten, old, or unpalatable in any way. The fact that we grow without sprays does mean that sometimes you’ll get a cabbage with a few holes or a 3-legged carrot. For more about “ugly” produce, and why we think it’s important to promote its acceptance, please read this.
- Although we grow a wide variety of items, we can’t possibly grow everything. Occasionally you may receive something in your box that was grown at another farm. Rest assured that if we do include something we didn’t grow it will be sourced from a farm using the same practices we use. It will also be labeled with the grower’s name and location so that you know where it came from.
What if I go on vacation or move? When do I have to pay?
Your CSA share is more than a produce purchase – it’s a show of support for a healthy local food production system and it helps us to offer good clean food at a reasonable price. When we fill our subscriptions we are asking you to commit for the season so that we can plan to grow appropriate quantities. We offer a couple of different payment plans to our customers so that you can pay monthly instead of all at once, if you choose.
If you have to miss a week or two, we’d appreciate it if you could try to find a friend who’d take over the share that you can’t enjoy. We will not be able to offer refunds on any portion of the share that you are unable to use, so if you have to drop out of the program we would encourage you to try and find someone willing to purchase your remaining weeks from you. We will contact you by email each week to remind you of your scheduled pick up or delivery. If you miss the pick up or are unavailable to accept delivery we will donate the contents of your box that week to a local food bank.
What does it cost?
The CSA will include one delivery per week for a total of 20 weeks. Each weeks’ box is priced at $25. A discount of 10% is applied for customers who choose to pay the full season in advance
- Monthly payments: Number of deliveries in the month x $25 (total of $500 over the full season)
- Full Season payment: $460 ($500 minus 8% discount of $40)
- Pastured eggs: $4/dozen, as available
The first monthly payment or payment in full is due on the first day of delivery.
Sign me up – I want to support ethical and sustainable local food production!
We can accept payment by e-transfer or Paypal.
Please email Sue@tipsytoadgrove.com for answers to any questions you may have.